Will startup of a cloned instance effect a Jira production system?

iain mair July 4, 2012

I have a Jira 4.1.2 server instance in EC2 that I want to clone to test manual upgrade and later clone a second time to have an easy recovery path in case the actual upgrade goes wrong.

I know I can change to a developer license for my test instance, but will the startup of a Jira instance with the same Server ID and license have any effect on the already running one?

If so, how do I change the offending property (e.g. Server ID or License) on the cloned instance without actually starting it?

1 answer

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2012
Two instances can coexist and run with the same server id at the samevtime. Anyway, you should give the clone it's own server id. You can get this from an evaluation instance. To update the server id, you first need to know where it's stored in the database. Just use this SQL:
select id from propertystring where propertyvalue = 'your cloned server id'
then just update the found table row with your developer server id using
update propertystring = 'developer server id' where id = found id in prev. Statement
There are some more important hints to follow before you start your cloned instance:
  • disable mailing else users might be confused by emails sent from the cloned system
  • disable mail handlers else the cloned system might create issues from emails before your production finds them and thus they'd be lost in the production system
The best to avoid these problems is to disable mail sending and fetchimg using system properties. If you need mailing on the cloned system you should remove all subscriptions.
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2012
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2012
Here's how you can disable mail sending and fetching: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Recognized+System+Properties+for+JIRA Relevant parameters are: atlassian.mail.*
iain mair July 16, 2012

Thanks Dieter!

Your reply left open if running with the same license would cause any problems. However changing the Server ID with

update propertystring set propertyvalue = '<ID taken from plain installation on the same machine>' where id = <Found with your statement>;

and then immediately changing the license from within Jira worked fine.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2012
Hi Iain, i copy my productive instance once a month to a test system without changing the license / server id and never experienced a problem.

Suggest an answer