Will renaming the "Epic" issue type, "Retainer" issue type cause confusion?

Leonard Siegfried September 17, 2019

I have been asked to rename the Epic issue type to Retainer. I am concerned that if I do that it will cause confusion for users with regards to Epic name, link, color and status. 

Can I rename Epic name, link, color and status. to be Retainer name, link, color and status.?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2019

You can’t change the system field names. And why “retainer” which is something that holds something in place while an epic, in scrum terms, is a collection of stories.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2019

It is possible to unlock and rename the fields on a Server/DC install, but it is not a good idea.  Apart from "retainer" really not meaning the same things as what an "epic" is for and hence confusing people:

Jira is now quite widely used, and people coming from an environment that has Epics will find it very strange

While I've not run into problems with renaming Epic in an off-the-shelf Jira, it causes havoc with some apps, including some Atlassian ones! (and completely rules you out of ever using Align, I learned a few weeks ago)

Suggest an answer