Will deleting a JIRA user free up a JIRA license?

Tamara Khan April 15, 2014

We are out of JIRA licenses and need to add a user. A person has left the company, so I've deleted him as a user; will this free-up a JIRA license for me to use?

3 answers

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2014

Depending on the version of Jira, you can "inactivate" users (fairly recent to the most current versions have this option,) which leaves all their groups and history intact, but makes the user unable to log in and frees up the license. If you're on On-Demand, you simply uncheck all of their application access and this will have the same effect as inactivating the user on the download versions of Jira.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2014

Technically yes, but generally you don't delete users as it's a pain in the neck. As Andris says, just remove them from all groups and you'll get their seat back. I'd recommend changing their name to show they've left, removing them from all roles as well as groups and setting their email to a dummy.

0 votes
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2014

You just need to remove user from global permissions (Jira user) and it will free up license slot.

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2014

By default it's jira-users group from which you need to remove that user. You don't need to delete it.

Suggest an answer