Will changing my permission scheme from the default scheme unassign all issues?

Fiona June 10, 2014

I have to redo our permission scheme, which is currently the default scheme, because we have hired a subcontractor and need to restrict his access to all of our projects except one. (Currently he can see everything, because all jira-users/users can see everything.)

To make this work, I'll have to revoke access to the group jira-users/users, and give access to a new group (let's say "comapany"). When I revoke access, will all the issues we have for all of our projects become unassigned because the assigned user no longer has access? Or will they stay assigned, and everything will be intact when I grant access to the group "company"? It would be quite a lot of work to go through every issue and reassign.

Any answers would be much appreciated! Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2014

No, you are safe.

Changing permission scheme has no effect on existing data. I think of it as a dynamic question - when you try to do somethign to an issue, then the *current* permission scheme applies. If you change the scheme, it does not retrospectively change anything because that doesn't matter (And it would have to ask you what changes to make), it only changes the way the issues behave when they are next used.

It does look a little odd though - look at issue X, it's assigned to Bob, even though Bob is not assignable at the moment (and, of course, you don't get Bob in the list of possible assignees when you use edit or assign)

Fiona June 10, 2014

Brilliant! Thank you!

Suggest an answer