Wiki page restrict the "Watching" page option

Ilja Semencenko May 13, 2022

Hi!

I have a question about wiki page. We have created a page, and at the top of it there is a "Watching" option. 

When someone selects it - they receive all notifications on his email box when someone creates modifications on page that is connected with Jira board that contains sensitive information. 

Is it possible to restrict this "Watching " option, so let say only certain people could choose to "watch" this page. 

Also, we don't want to change the "Restrictions" settings, due too everyone who wants to raise a request that will appear on Jira board could do it. 

Our goal is to RESTRICT "WATCHING" option, so only certain people can be notified  when someone has raised an HR request on a wiki page.  

Summary:

1. Everyone should be able to enter data into it with personal information that will appear on Jira board (NO NEED to change "restrictions"). 

2. Only certain individuals should be able to see what information has been entered and submitted to the Jira board ( NEED to restrict "watching" option). 

Is it possible to do it?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2022
Hi Ilja,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There is currently not a way to restrict the Watch permission by user or user group. However this has been requested via:

If this is functionality you would like to have potentially included in a future release of Jira feel free to vote for the issue that pertains to your platform.

Having said that, if I understand your scenario properly, one solution that may work for you to restrict the notifications that get sent out is to modify the Notification scheme for the project. This is done via Configuring a Notification Scheme at the project level.

The documentation linked above goes into more details around customizing the project's notification scheme. So I believe in your case you may be able to configure your notification scheme, for example, not to send all events to 'All Watchers'. By default 'All Watchers' will get notifications, however you can change this at the project level via Project Settings > Notifications. This allows you to customize which events send to Watchers of an issue.

Does that sound like something that might work to help resolve the issue you are encountering? If not or if I have misunderstood your scenario, please let me know and I would be happy to discuss further with you.

Thanks,
Andy

Suggest an answer