Why would you archive a product version?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2014

Could someone tell me why I would archive a JIRA project version? I was hoping it would minimize search results (e.g. you could not find an issue in an archived version) as this would make search results more relevant. But, it doesn't do that. I'm struggling with why it would be important to use this feature.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2014

When you create or edit an issue in the project, archived versions won't appear in the list. It just prevents users from using the version once archived.

You will still be able to search issues using archived versions because some issues already has that value on it.

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2014

Thanks. I had hoped there was a way to reduce the searching...but, guess not.

It's interesting, though, with Tempo. Tempo will not pull in time on issues associated with an archived version...learned that the hard way when trying to pull some reports for finance.

Like # people like this
Melanie Wu May 8, 2019

This solution isn't really ideal, but you could create a secondary project and move those issues into it and archive the project. But you'll have to unarchive it to add more to it if you want, etc. 

Suggest an answer