Why would 1 service desk be slower than all the others?

Nicole Downes July 11, 2019

We have around a dozen service desks running on our Jira Data Centre instance (Version 4.1.0 SD 8.1.0 JIRA). While most service desks create tickets, do assignments, add comments in around 2 secs, we have one (1) service desk that takes between 10 and 20 secs to complete the same kind of tasks. 

Several of the Service Desks have thousands of customers. All create issues from email or portal.

Any help on what to check, any tips, tricks, anything you have/know is greatly appreciated

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 18, 2019

HI Nicole,

I understand you have a single Service Desk project that appears to be much slower than the others.  It can be difficult to say the exact cause here without more data.

But I have a hunch or two of things to look for, such as number of SLAs created in that project, number of issues in the queue, and JQL filter complexity of that queue.

Each JSD project can have it's own set of SLAs, it's possible that having lots of these can cause performance problems when trying to load that project.  Check out the KB How to Troubleshoot SLAs in JIRA Service Desk.  There is a section there called SLA Rule Overload that can help identify if this is the case.

If this isn't helpful, I'd be interested to learn how many issues exist in this specific project, you can find that in the issue navigator just by doing a search such as

project=xyz

where xyz is the project key here.

Lastly, if the first page you see that loads when you visit this project is the queues page, then it could be the complexity of those queues that could cause long page loads.  You can see this in more detail in Make queues for your team.  By default these queues use simple searches, but if you customize these to use very long and complex JQL searches it can really add up when trying to load the page itself.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Nicole Downes July 18, 2019

Andy, Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

We found the underlying cause to be a scriptrunner listener running on the specific project.

I have read and taken note of the article links you sent as they will help with general slowness, and training of the various service desk project administrators.

I'm sure others will also find your answer helpful.  :)

Suggest an answer