Why won't jira allow me to assign issues to users other than the admins even though they're granted acces?

Gus Shukeireh May 12, 2015

I cannot assign any users an issue other than myself (an admin) and the other admin on the site. Why is this? My users are granted access, assigned to proper groups, and given the proper permissions. But I can't assign them any issues.

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2015

Sounds like you have not granted them "can be assigned issues" permission (note - not "can assign issues to other people")

Gus Shukeireh May 12, 2015

I am now allowed to assign them, but the assignee cannot view the issue. Do you have a solution to this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2015

You're now missing "browse" permission now. Note that if you grant "assignee" the "browse" permission, JIRA reads that as "anyone who *might* be assigned an issue", so that may not be much good to you. I'd also take a close look at all the permissions, as it seems someone has modified your scheme away from the (moderately sane as a starting point) Atlassian defaults.

JamesV May 12, 2015

Gus, go to your permission scheme and use the Permission Helper. It will prompt for the user, ticket, and action. For the permission select Browse Project. This will tell you why they cannot view it.

0 votes
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2015

Try using the JIRA Admin Helper for troubleshooting permissions: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Admin+Helper

Suggest an answer