Why when i move a an epic from one project to another does the reporter change?

Scott Federman April 6, 2014

We have an epic listed in a subtending backlog. Once its approved we move it from the subtending backlog to the master backlog. It appears that occassionally the person in reporter role is changed when the epic is moved from one project to the other. Any ideas why I am seeing this happen?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2014

One other thing that you might check is the conditions setup in the workflow transitions. Sometimes if you use default, JIRA might have conditions like "Only users with Create issues" permissions can execute this transition etc. If you have different workflows setup for different issue types and they have different conditions, that might be the case.

Scott Federman April 8, 2014

I see nothing in the logs, and yes i have that condition set, but the users do have te permissions to create issues too.

Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2014

Can you verify the following:

1. When you move, you are using the "more>move" option in the issue itself?
  2. You have seen that if project admin follows the process at #1, there have been cases where the reporter was either the admin or it stayed the same?
  3. This issue happens for the same issue type or different issue types?
  4. If different issue types, do they have same or different workflows?
  5. If different workflows, are the conditions for create issue transitions are the same?
  6. Do the workflows have custom post functions?
  7. If so, what are those?

Overall, what you are seeing might be caused by:

• Worfkflow conditions
  • Workflow post functions

that are related to create issue step.

One last thing I can think of is the database integrity (assuming you are not using HSQL) and/or indexing.

If all look OK above, I would definitely create a support ticket.

0 votes
Scott Federman April 7, 2014

I would typically agree with that but that doesn't seem to be the case all of the time. It seems when i move them as a super admin it doesn't change or and it only changes some of the time when the project admin moves tem. I haven't been able to nail down the situation when it changes and when it doesn't.

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2014
Whoever moves the ticket to the new project would be the reporter as the mover technically is creating that ticket in the new project by keeping other values. If you want to keep that record, you could add a user custom field copy the original reporter in the workflow then copy that back once create the ticket in the other project workflow.
Scott Federman April 7, 2014

I would typically agree with that but that doesn't seem to be the case all of the time. It seems when i move them as a super admin it doesn't change or and it only changes some of the time when the project admin moves tem. I haven't been able to nail down the situation when it changes and when it doesn't.

Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2014

And do you see anything in the logs?

Suggest an answer