Why the same quick filter does not work in different projects?

Elena Grushetskaya January 31, 2018

I created in 2 projects the same components: Back-end and Front-end.

And I filled for all tasks the component fields.

Then I created quick filters with the help of JQL: component in (back-end) and component in (front-end).

In one project these two filters work in another one of the filters does not work.

What can be a problem? I checked the misspellings and sure that there are no problems with that.

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2018

There is a known problem that can occur when you use the same exact component names in more than one project and those projects have different permissions schemes.   While I can understand the expectation that this would work, it seems that when your JQL is calling the component field for comparisons (as in the quick filters), Jira is still apparently doing a permissions check against the origin project where that component name was first created (any not necessarily just the project in question).

Here is a related bug that explains this in more detail: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-14728

It seems that while Jira will let you create that same component name in another project, it appears to be looking towards the first project that used that exact component name.   I think this is why you cannot see those issues in the other board.

The work-around for that other issue is to provide distinctly different component values on a per project basis as a means to get around this.   I believe this would also work here.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2018

You query will show only issues where both components are chosen for the components field. Are you sure that it is what you are looking for?

Suggest an answer