Why the issues 'last Update date' & time was not updated when we changed the version name in the project?

s@ii October 21, 2013

Hi,

When we change the version name in any project the respective version using issues need to updated right.

The version name has been updated in all issues but the last update time of the issues was not updating and in issue history also not showing about the change.

Could you please let me know how to update the 'Last Updated Time' of the issues while chaging the version name in the project.

Thanks in Advance..

Regards,
sai

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2013

Hi Sai,

You could ofcourse also do something else :

* create a new version with the new name

* do a bulk change on all issue currently part of the old version and change the version to the newly created version

* delete the old wrongly named version

That should do the trick.

Best regards,

Peter

s@ii November 6, 2013

Thanks for your quick response Peter.

we already tried that one but our clients are not satisfied with this solution.

we must write a plugin or have to use a third party plugin. we tried to wrote a plugin but some where we are missing, along with versions we also have the requirement when changing component name in the project have to update 'last Update date' & time.we did with this requirement by using component update event.

In the same why we tried for versions but there is no such version update event

could you please let me know how to get it..

Regards

sai

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2013

Hi Sai,

Just wondering: why exactly does your client want this so badly that you will need to start developing a plugin? Isn't it cheaper for them to use the workaround I provided?

Best regards

Peter

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

I still think this is an issue with the client's logic, and bodging the software is not the right thing to do.

Note that Peter's suggestion is the right approach, despite my opinion that you're doing the wrong thing, whether you do it manually or in code. If you think it through, you'll realise that there's a potential for creating massive load while you do this, because you're going to have to repeatedly search everything to look for updates.

The best answer here is to go back to the client and explain that their requirement is wrong, hard to implement and potentially a performance nightmare.

s@ii November 6, 2013

Hi peter,

They have some problems with that approach that's why there are asking some other way to do it..

Regards,

sai

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

Could you explain the problems they have with the correct technical approach given by Peter?

Any other approach is technically going to be a lot harder, so you really should be trying something along the lines Peter has given you.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

Hi Sai,

Next to being an Atlassian Expert for my company I'm also an ALM (Application lifecycle Management) consultant. I focus on improving 3 pillars that support the full ALM proces: People, processes and tools. It's clear for me that the problem your client has will not be solved by the tools. He should find out why his processes allow versions to be changed (instead of creating a new version) or why his people can't handle this way of working properly (and if they need training to help them).

Don't try to solve a process or people problem with tools, it will only make things worse.

Like Nic suggested : go back to your client and explain to them that their requirement and their focus is wrong. You can point them towards this thread if they need more info or want to ask an extra question themselves. Don't get tricked into trying to do this, it will only cause more problems in the long run.

Best regards,

Peter

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2013

The version changed. The issues did not change.

The updated date records the last change to the issue, so it's not going to change when you change version data.

This is almost identical to the question about components over at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/224128/why-the-issues-last-update-date-time-was-not-updated-when-we-changed-the-component-name-in-the-project

and most of the conversation applies to that. With the exception that version changes DO throw events, so you can wite a listener to capture them, and you don't need to bodge the core of Jira to support it.

With the caveats:

1. It is still totally incorrect to update an issue based on a version's name change, you are damaging your data, and should be looking to correct your processes not hack this into Jira.
  2. Watch out for performance because updating lots of issues on a version change could potentially overload your system
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2013

It's the wrong thing to do, but yes, with some coding or hard work, you can corrupt the updated date on your issues.

Please see the link I gave - it's the same question really, except that with versions, you can write a listener to do it, without having to bodge things into the core of Jira.

s@ii October 21, 2013

Hi brough,

Thank you for your quick response

As of our requirement we need to update the issues "Last update date" field with the version changed date. Is it possible to update? If it is possible, could you please let me know the way to update the issues.

Thanks,

Sai

s@ii November 6, 2013

Hi brough,

is there any third party plugins available related to version update event. Could you please let me know how to get it..

regards,

Sai

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

To answer just this specific question, no I'm not aware of any plugin that would meet your stated requirements.

I'm sure thate there are plugins that trap version events and do sensible things with them (I strongly suspect the Agile plugin does things with version events). A chap I've worked with is in the middle of writing one that will trap "version released" and update another application with the release dates. But I don't know of anything that you could take and modify.

So, I'm afraid you'll need to code this for yourself

0 votes
s@ii November 6, 2013

Hi brough,

is there any third party plugins available related to version update event. Could you please let me know how to get it..

regards,

Sai

Suggest an answer