Why searching by custom field's value is not returning all issues it should?

bob_lyons July 24, 2017

We routinely include the SVN version number in the summary of a firmware bug. For example, the summary text might read "<product name> -r24000 <bug description>". There are many issues for version 24000 but when I add a text element "-r24000" to the search, it only shows one issue. The other text around the "-r24000" may differ, but that part is the same for many issues. Why does only one show up in my search?

2 answers

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2017

Hi Bob,

Indeed the - character has a special meaning in JQL. It means to find all issues excluding the ones that match the string after -

Please check. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/performing-text-searches-720416596.html  (search for excluded term)

According to the escaping rules for special characters like - please try the query

summary ~ "\\-r24000"

hope this helps!

Regards

Dieter

bob_lyons July 24, 2017

Yep, that works, same results as just searching for "r24000".

0 votes
bob_lyons July 24, 2017

Correction to my initial post -- if I search for "-r24000" I get all kinds of issues unrealted to version 24000, so I'm assuming that has something to do with the "-" being interpreted as a special (Boolean) character maybe. If I search for just the number "24000" I only get one issue, even though there are many with that number in the title. However, if I search for "r24000" I get the list of issues I am interested in. So that solves my problem but I'm just curious about why searching for "24000" only returns one of many issues.

Suggest an answer