Why new issues - not opened by - but assigned to me aren't added to my watch list ?

Martin May 4, 2014

Hi,

Note: Autowatch is enable in my profile settings.

Someone recently opened an issue with me as assignee but when I look at the issue details, I'm not a watcher of it - and so the issue doesn't appear on my home dashboard. A believe that as I have autowatch enabled, the issue should be watched by me automatically ?

What could be the problem here ?

JIRA 6.0.8

3 answers

1 vote
Martin July 28, 2014

Here is a working solution to display every issues where "you" are mentioned :

Write a filter like this one (which description could be "Issues for which I am assignee, reporter, watcher or somehow mentioned"). Then use the "Filter results" dashboard gadget using that filter.

status in ([statuses you want here]) AND (assignee in (currentUser()) OR reporter in (currentUser()) OR summary ~ currentUser() OR description ~ currentUser() OR comment ~ currentUser() OR watcher = currentUser())

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2014

Watching is not the same as being assigned an issue, it's an active choice to get involved really - autowatch only kicks in when you've directly interacted with an issue yourself.

I use autowatch too, but if it did it just because I'm assigned an issue, I'd have to turn it off, the functionality would be useless to me.

Anyway for your case, there's a workaround.

1. Install the Jira toolkit plugin (free and works on OnDemand)

2. Add a "participants" field, globally to all issues (no need to actually put it on a screen, but you can if it would be useful)

3. Create a filter for "participants = currentUser()" and use that in your dashboard.

The participant list = Reporter, Assignee and anyone who has commented. It's not quite autowatch, but it will cover your reporting.

0 votes
Martin Duttweiler May 4, 2014

Hi Martin,

You are only added as watcher automatically if you create or comment a issue.

Hope this helps

Best regards,

Martin D.

Martin May 4, 2014

Thanks Martin ( :D ) ,

I was counting on that kind of behavior so all issues that I am concerned with could appear in the gadget list "watched issues" on my dashboard.

So if I understand correctly, a workaround would be to add a second gadget on my dashboard to list all issues that are assigned to me ?

I would have duplicates across those two lists, so it would not be that handy :/ Any suggestion ? Thanks !

Suggest an answer