Why my sprint have to start after I added my stories to record the Commitment in velocity chart?

Ricardo Hernández Gómez November 2, 2019

I understand that Sprint planning meeting is part of an Sprint, so it suppose that the sprints starts when the Sprint planning meeting is being done. If you do so, setting the start of the sprint to the date and hour when the sprint planning meeting starts, makes your commitment zero when you end the sprint due jira thinks you added issues after th start of the sprint. It shouldn't be like that.

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2019

Hi @Ricardo Hernández Gómez

The Velocity Chart (like a number of the reports) work best when sprints are started at the day/time you press the button.

This is because it takes into account what happened prior to the time you start the sprint otherwise - which can discount stories added or estimates. 

In reality, the sprint does begin once planning starts - is there a concern with starting it then rather than earlier?

Ste

Suggest an answer