Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Why modification done on a copied version of Kanban board , updates the original version too?

There was a existing Kanban Board and I took a copy of the Kanban board and stared making some changes to the copied version of Kanban Board. However to my surprise the all the changes made on Copied version applied to Original Kanban board too. 

Is it expected behavior of Kanban Board ? And how can I trace the activities\ updates performed in Kanban board? Any tracking logs ? 

2 answers

0 votes

Hello @Indira Priyadarsini 

Welcome to the community.

What changes did you make specifically?

As @Thuan_ Do Dang  said, a board is just a way to visualize and manipulate issues in a project. The issues are not in the board, they are in the project the board references.

If you made updates to the issue data, that is reflected everywhere that issue is displayed - in all boards and reports - because there is just one "copy" of an issue. There is not a separate copy of the issue in each board where it displays.

When you make a copy of a board, you should be able to make changes to the columns displayed in the board without affecting the original board. You should also be able to associate it with a separate Filter Query, but if you change the filter instead of making a new one, then you might affect the original board.

If you are working with a scrum board and make changes to Sprints in that board, that also can affect the original board.

0 votes

Hi @Indira Priyadarsini ,

Versions and issues belong to the project, not the board. Boards show them in a visual display.

issues and releases.png

You should know what you're really working on. Copied Kanban board may show your issue in project by other way, the work items (issues, versions) are not copied.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer