Why jira cloud addon install failed after change the addon key

Tharanga Thennakoon January 16, 2018

Hi ,

I am developing a jira cloud addon by using atlassian-connect.  Everything works fine until change the addon key. I changed the addon key then tried to re-install the addon into my jira cloud instance. I tried it for different jira cloud instance but always got same error.

I modified the field key in atlassian-connect.json descriptor. This is the modification i did.

previous key : com.testcompany.jira.plugin
new key : com.testcompany.jira.plugin.testaddon.testcompany-jira-tickets-importer

This is the error i got.

error-install.png

An error occurred while provisioning the user for this add-on. Please try installing it again, and if then problem persists then contact Atlassian support. 

Could anyone please tell why i got this error, and how to resolve it.

Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2018

You're probably best off asking this question over at the Atlassian Developer Community: https://community.developer.atlassian.com . There are Atlassian Dev Experience folks there that can help you.

That said - they'll probably ask you to drop in a ticket to the Developer HelpDesk at https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/14

Personally (my own $0.02) - it's not necessarily a bad thing to have separate listings for the 2 versions.

Thushara Wimalasena January 17, 2018

Thanks, yes i'll post this to developer community.

-Thushara

0 votes
Thushara Wimalasena January 17, 2018

Hi All,

Adding more details to the above post.

After further investigation on it, the Issue seems to be the length of the key. What we have observed was that when the add-on gets installed in a Jira cloud instance, it also creates Jira system users as per SCOPE values which are defined in the JSON descriptor. And then the add-on key is used to generate those user’s names and email ids. And if the key value exceeds more than 64 characters, user creation gets failed.

We have conformed the above behavior by using different key but with shorter length and then the problem goes away.

But We won’t be able to use a short length key value because our Jira server add-on version is already has been published to marketplace and which contains a long key value which exceeds more than 64 characters. Due to that reason our Jira Cloud add-on version also has to use the same key value as per Atlassian Jira Plugin specification. Right now, we are not able to change the Jira server add-on key due to other restrictions.

Please let us know if there is a way to overcome this issue.

Thanks,

-Thushara

Suggest an answer