Why isn't the Jira Core board working?

Christian Axén January 24, 2018

A Jira Core board isn't working, I get the error "Hm... don't see your work here?". I read trouble shooting part of Working with boards and checked what was wrong and I've come to the conclusion that my setup is correct.

• I have three different issue types
  • One workflow for each issue type
  • All three workflows use the same statuses and only involves two steps, To Do -> Done
  • Transition only from To Do to Done
  • Each workflow has a screen on transition to Done (it is a different screen for each workflow)

If I assign the one workflow with three issue types it works. I have tested that with all workflows.

The workflows are copies of another workflow, I only changed the screen for the transition.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Axén January 26, 2018

I got this reply from the support team:

Hi Christian,

Thanks for reaching out!

I've created a test environment to replicate the issue you are having. Based on what you have described you should actually be able to view your issues in a board. This is because you assigned different workflows but they had the same status configuration. In my case I was also having the same problem and the board will not display. The information provided by Community is true, but only if you have different statuses on each workflow, which in this case you do not.

In this case we have an open bug report which can be found here:

JRACLOUD-68618: Hm... don't see your work here?

Please be sure to watch it, so that you are notified when this is fixed in a future release. If you would like to know how we prioritize the fix of bugs, you can find all the details on the Bug Fixing policy policy page.

You can also add a public comment to the bug itself, if there are any additional information you would like to share with the developers directly so that the team can take that into account while addressing the problem.

There is also the option to change the project type to Software, which will allow you to use Kanban boards for your issues which offer a higher level of flexibility. Please feel free to explore this option and if you need any assistance with converting your existing project let us know.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best regards,

Dain
Atlassian Cloud Support

Fabrice Cantos March 13, 2019

Very constraining Board capability

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2018

Hi Christian,

The Jira Core boards are not able to display issues when the issues that would appear on that board have different workflows.  This is explained further in Working with Core Boards: Board troubleshooting.   From that page:

Why can't I see issues on the board?

If your project contains customized workflows, you might not be able to see your issues on the board. Here are the two main cases where this can happen.

For instance, you have customized a workflow for a certain issue type and you have multiple workflows in your project.

Task issue type

Design issue type

The board displays a column for each status, so where the statuses are not the same, the board does not know which workflow to show.

If you want to start using boards, you may want to consider aligning your workflows. For more information, see How do I build the workflow I want?

I know that the agile board types provided by Jira Software (such as Scrum or Kanban), have better support for handling issues that have different workflows.  However it does not appear that the Jira Core boards can do this.  I hope this helps.

Christian Axén January 25, 2018

Ah, now I understand. I thought that as long as the workflows was had the same statuses it should work. When I read it know, "1. You project contains issues that have different workflows", I understand it as "Your boards will only work if all issues have the same workflow". 

This is a very unfortunate limitation I think.

Thanks for the answer!

Suggest an answer