Why is there no "are you sure you want to cancel this huge comment you just wrote?" warning?

danabrey January 13, 2016

Also known as: why does my trigger-happy mouse finger click "Cancel" instead of "Confirm" all the time, and should the buttons be the other way around?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2016

This might be a "Feature" or a "Suggestion" that you can open up with Atlassian so they might consider (support.atlassian.com).

Note:

The modern day browsers have a feature where it will "warn" you if you try to exit or end the session of your browser and you have an input field that has not been "posted" to the server side yet but I guess that won't solve your problem here.

P.S.

I've read somewhere that Apple (especially Steve Jobs) and Microsoft have this huge conflict with dialog buttons that asks for confirmation. Steve really hates when you click "cancel" or "delete" then it's going to ask you "Are you sure what you are doing". So I guess it's really a preference and Atlassian might have preferred not to do it in the Comment box.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2016

I'd quite like the cancel button to be small and somewhere else, or even removed, with the user having to choose to close the dialog to cancel instead of having a button. Failing that, a bit of javascript that does something like "posting is longer than 128 characters, you sure?". FWIW, I'm closer to Steve. I despise all those popups that ask me to confirm closing a window that I've just said I want to close.

1 vote
danabrey January 13, 2016

I absolutely agree that unnecessary confirmation for obvious user action is annoying. When the intended interaction is clearly defined, a confirmation dialog is a step in the way of doing what you want to, unless it's something so important and undoable that it simply must have one (e.g. deleting files, accounts, etc.).

However, the comment form is already a confirmation dialog (there is already the option to confirm or cancel your comment), and the buttons are next to each other and of equal importance, visually. There are differing schools of thought when it comes to whether "confirm" or "cancel" should be on the left or right, but my muscle memory certainly has me cancelling at least 10% of the comments/issues I create on JIRA before I even know what I'm doing.

I'll pass my feelings on to Atlassian Support. Thanks!

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2016
0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2016

This looks similar to: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-36790 You should raise an issue requesting that all cancel buttons ask for permission first if there is content present.

Suggest an answer