Why is the Create Sprint button missing?

Ed Skinner July 23, 2015

I go to Agile>project and then click backlog but the sprint button is not even there.... Please advise...

10 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
LakshmiS July 23, 2015

Look at the query for the board (Board-> Configure) and ensure that the sorting by RANK has not been removed accidentally

Cheri Lampel January 15, 2019

This is the case, but did not fix the issue.  I am an admin -- can't find the root cause.

Like James Peck likes this
1 vote
Srinath_Arava August 20, 2019

I had the same problem. I created a new "Scrum Board" after which I am able to view the Create Sprint button.

Steps followed:

1. Go to the Project Backlog

2. From the right side, go to the top setting (...) and select Create Board

3. Select Create a Scrum Board -> Board from an existing project

4. Give it a name and hit next

1 vote
Ed Skinner July 27, 2015

Ok I and administrator as well as a project administrator and nothing.  The thing that fixed it was sorting by RANK.  Not only sorting by rank but sorting by rank ascending must be in place...  Not sure why it was designed that way, kinda doesn't make sense, but in the end that is what fixed it.

Thanks everyone for all your assistance,

Ed

0 votes
Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2015

Hi Ed,

let us know your outcome buddy, will be handy to have either way so others can learn smile

Darren

0 votes
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2015

You need to be a project administrator in order to create sprints in your Boards.

Remember that if your board is shared by multiple JIRA projects you also have to be a Project Administrator in all associated projects.

I would advise you to review the following doc which also has some insights surrounding the whole idea of Creating a Sprint:

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2015

Depends how you have the permission scheme setup.. if you are using project roles.. associate yourself to the project role that is associated to the project adminpermission scheme... or just drop your name on the project administrator section at the top of the scheme. I'm guessing you have created a SCRUM board and you can see a list of issues in the backlog.. once you have dragged the issues into a sprint you can start it..

0 votes
Ed Skinner July 23, 2015

ok how do i make myself the project admin?

0 votes
Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2015

Still need to be a project admin, in the perm scheme. If you are then it should be there..

0 votes
Ed Skinner July 23, 2015

Yes I am the administrator of the entire site

0 votes
Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2015

Are you a project admin?

Suggest an answer