Why is "resolved" field not being set? (or resolutionDate, the alias name for same field)

gbh2930 October 13, 2017

I have just joined a new team that is using Jira and I am new to Jira. We have a problem with our Service Desk project's workflow. It looks like some months ago when an issue was moved to Resolved status, the workflow successfully set the resolved/resolutionDate field, which is needed for reporting. However some months ago this field stopped updating, now it is no longer being set.

I can see from this fields reference page that "resolutionDate" is an alias for "resolved".

Is there anywhere else I can find more documentation for it? 

Where should it normally be getting set? i.e. where do I need to check?

2 answers

2 votes
Andreia Fernandes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2017

Hello. Try to add a Post Function in the workflow with the rule: Update Issue Field

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2017

Someone has removed

• The Resolution field from the "close issue" screen
  • The "close issue" screen from the close transition
  • A post-function that sets the resolution (possibly by unticking the flag in a board configuration)

You'll need to have a look at the workflow and decide which one of those you want to put back.

ResolutionDate is NOT an alias for resolved.  The resolution field determines if an issue is resolved or not.  (It's open if there is nothing in the field, resolved if it's not empty).  ResolutionDate is a record of when the issue's resolution changed from <empty> to <not empty>

gbh2930 October 16, 2017

Thank you Nic. But I am a bit confused by your last paragraph because the fields reference page states resolutionDate IS an alias for resolved and that the field's type is "DATE". It also lists a different field "Resolution" of type "RESOLUTION". Could you be mixing up the fields or are you saying the fields reference page is wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2017

No, it doesn't.  It says resolutionDate is an alias for resolved, which is a word you use in searches, not really a field.

I was not clear in my answer that I was talking about fields.  You can use resolved and resolution date interchangeably in searches, even though it's not quite a real field and the data it searches on is the date the resolution changed.

jonathank January 9, 2020

Nic, can you elaborate on the following:

• A post-function that sets the resolution (possibly by unticking the flag in a board configuration)

I do not see a post function for setting the ResolutionDate on any transitions. Is there a way to add it back? 

jonathank January 9, 2020

The workaround is to add a post function to trigger setting Resolution to Done when Status is set to Done.  Then Jira automatically sets ResolutionDate to current date time and makes it visible on your issue form.

Like Alex Usov likes this

Suggest an answer