Why is my user renamed on login?

Rick Waugh April 19, 2017

This is the oddest thing. Her name is set up as her full first name and last name. But when she logs in, her name gets changed to just initials. She uses Google to log in. I change it back. She logs out and logs back in, and it gets changed again. Anyone seen this before, or have any ideas as to why it could be happening?

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2017

I have an idea why it could be happening. If the username is just initials in G Suite (Google) it could change it back every time she logs in:

Manage users without group-based syncing

"Once your users are linked, Atlassian Cloud will keep your users' details up-to-date by synchronising the account's details from G Suite each time the user logs in. If the user's information is manually overridden in Atlassian Cloud, the link is essentially broken, and Atlassian Cloud will not update the user's information from G Suite again."

When you change the name to first and last name, are you doing that in Atlassian Cloud? If so, theoretically that would "break" the link so it doesn't update from Google any more.

Rick Waugh April 26, 2017

That's what we thought originally, as well, but her Google account is not set up that way. It seems fine now - Atlassian was doing some migrations of users at the time, which may have caused the issue. Very weird.

Suggest an answer