Why is my epic scheduled to take less time than the estimate (Jira Portfolio)?

jdmunro September 28, 2016

I'm attempting to do some high-level planning and estimates with Portfolio. For some reason, it appears to schedule certain Epics as taking less time to complete than the actual estimate itself says. I would expect this Epic to block out 4 days (based on the time estimate it has). This only seems to happen in certain cases.

portfolio1.png

Here's the estimate on the ticket (same value is displayed in Portfolio):

portfolio2.png

I'm sure the explanation will be logical - I'm just a bit confused at the moment.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2016

Hi James,

Most likely, you have more than 1 team member scheduled to be working on it. If you have an estimate of 4 days on your epics and 2 people working on it, it will be done in 2 days.

To verify this:

• look at the Scope view of Portfolio,
  • Make sure you are viewing the epic and have the Team / Members colums visible in the table
  • Have a look how many team members are assigned to work on the epic.

jdmunro October 3, 2016

Thanks Walter - that turned out to be the case.

I had confused myself with this config option:

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 17.35.28.png

I hadn't appreciated that it wasn't also applying to Epics. I'll play with the settings and see what happens.

Ammar Malik January 18, 2017

@James Munro  Did this work for you? 

Im running into the same issue. i dont have the stories defined but i have the epics with Estimates at the Epic level but the days blocked arent what i've entered. I've tried to play with the scheduling options without any luck.

Ammar Malik January 18, 2017

I just verfiied that i have no member assigned and it seems like if you dont have anyone assigned it considers that everyone is assigned

0 votes
Ammar Malik January 27, 2017

HI guys, 

I'm having the same issue but cant seem to resolve it. My epic has no one assigned to it. It seems like if no one is assigned it assume the whole team is working on it at the same time. Or am i missing something?

Suggest an answer