Why is my custom field not selectable in filter when no Issue Types selected?

Karen Hayden June 3, 2016

If I Search for Issues and do not select any issue types, my custom field is not available for selection under the More option.  If I select 'All Standard Issue Types', my custom field is not available for selection under the More option.

However, if I manually select each available issue type in the selection list, my custom field is available for selection under the More option.

Is there a way to make the Custom Field always available for selection?  What is causing the user to individually select all issue types in order to include the Custom Field in the filter?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2016

You have some issuetype limitations in the field context.

Add more general context according to this https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/configuring-a-custom-field-185729468.html

Thank you, that resolved my issue.  I guess I knew that I had Issue Type context set on this field (because this custom field does not apply to all issue types), but I didn't understand the real purpose for this setting or it's impact!!  Thanks for setting me straight!

0 votes

It appears in the list as grayed out and I cannot check to include the field.

Or if I include the custom field (after manually selecting to include each issue type), then remove all issue type selections OR select the 'All Standard Issue Types', my custom field disappears from the filter criteria.  The custom field will automatically re-appear in filter criteria, after I un-select 'All Standard Issue Types' and manually select each issue type individually.

0 votes
Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2016

What do you mean by "not available for selection". Is this field shown grayed and not possible to be selected or it's not shown in the list?

Suggest an answer