Why is my Sprint Burndown report/gadget showing strange time logging lines?

Jason March 6, 2019

I am in the middle of 4-week sprint that is also tracking time on its issues.  I have my scrum board set to time tracking.  When I look at the sprint burndown or sprint burndown gadget, I see the time tracking lines but they are extended to the end of the sprint time frame.  Why are those lines extended?  I am expecting those red and green lines to end on the current day.

sprint burndown issue.jpg

2 answers

0 votes
Patrick Meeks May 18, 2020

Somebody put time in that is way out in the future

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2019

I could understand the desire to not have it draw a straight line across the chart for future dates, but the way this chart works, it's not only used for the current sprint. You can also view burndown data for past/completed sprints.   When this chart is loaded, Jira is running a series of SQL queries against your database in order to populate the values on this chart.  

In your case, the values for time spent and remaining values still get plotted for these future dates.  But all the other times this chart/report is run against completed sprints, this wouldn't be an issue.

I think that this plotting of future dates is by design.  Since the guideline will also extend to the end of the sprint, in my mind it makes more sense to have these other values extend to the end of the sprint as well, even if we don't yet have values for these.

Of course, I'd welcome differing opinions on this if you have any.  Could you tell me more about your use case?  Why does extending these lines cause a problem here?

There is also more about this report and how it works in Burndown Chart - Atlassian Documentation.

Jason March 20, 2019

The typical behavior is not see the remaining time and time logged lines extended past the current day.  We are still investigating this.  One likely cause is that some of the issues in the Burndown chart were in the current sprint and in a completed sprint.

phalgun_reddy August 3, 2023

Hi @Jason @Patrick Meeks @Andy Heinzer 

Can you please confirm whether the issue is resolved 
one of the user in our instance is facing the same issue.

If you found the root cause and solution please do the needful.

Thanks
Phalgun

Patrick Meeks August 4, 2023

As I said above, somebody put time way in the future.   Find that entry and delete it or change it and it will correct the issue.    Good Luck

PDM

Patrick Meeks August 7, 2023

There is somebody in your Sprint that has put in time in the future. They are recording time in a future date. Find that person or task and change it to a current or past date. This issue is not a Jira issue, but a person putting in a future date. There is no issue ... other than a keying issue. Make sense?

phalgun_reddy August 7, 2023

Hi @Patrick Meeks 

Thank you
It worked

Suggest an answer