Why is it okay for the official jira for slack integration to pump errors into slack channels?

Ian_Hoerner September 28, 2018

This is tied to the incident that occurred yesterday that caused this integration to push a large amount of error messages into slack. Why is it okay for this app to do this? We have a ton of slack integrations and no other app works this way. Our engineers have created their own integration and we may never use the official one again if they won't stop pushing error messages. The message i'm referring to is "Something went wrong! Please try again later". This is not the first time the app just started pushing that over and over again because of api difficulties with jira. I fail to understand why this integration needs to work this way and others do not. I would expect an error like this - once - if the app was called on directly - probably with some context or clue like I got a 500 from the api trying to look up your ticket. It should definitely not loop on sending - that is a major issue. I sent a ticket up yesterday to support and everything I said was ignored and the agent just associated our issue to the current api problem. cool, but when I then wrote back that I wanted to seriously complain about this whole sending of errors I was advised my feedback will be taken into consideration. I directly asked for a bug or suggestion to be filed and got that response. I am taking this route now to see if anyone else agrees this is wrong and see if we could actually get Atlassian to take some action.

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2018

Hi there, Ian.

I performed a little bit of digging an noticed that you have gotten in touch with Charles to discuss about this matter in the official support portal.

For reference purposes, I would like to share the suggestion he created to assist other users who may run into the same problem with the JIRA - Slack integration:

Credits to Charles for assisting you on this. Meanwhile, please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Ian_Hoerner October 2, 2018

I'm very happy that the status on this became "fixed" - a little curious if that means the end of errors from this bot in slack or just an end to the spam - very cool either way.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2018

Hey Ian,

I've been following up with our development team since you posted this question. They confirmed that in addition to fixing the thing that was causing the errors to occur, they also deployed a change on September 30 to prevent the bot from posting error messages like this into the channel.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer