Why is history lost when you move an issue?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2012

When I move an issue from one project to another, the screen definitions have the same information, but the work flows are different. However, when I move them, the history of any changes/updates that occurred in the first project disappear.

It this the expected behavior or a bug?

Seems like an auditing/tracability issue when all information is lost.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2012

You shouldn't lose any history when you move issue from one project to another. If that happens, it is a bug.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2012

Maybe you cloned your issue and then moved it ?

As Jobin said, moving an issue does not remove its history, even if it changes the workflow and the issuetype. You can always see the history in its change history.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 5, 2012

I have only seen this issue when workflows are actually different. The workflows have to be shared (ie really the same) not a copy of the workflow.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2012

@Norman: I've tested this with two test projects that have totally different workflows. Even then the history of the issue is not lost.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 5, 2012

Interesting, maybe I need to contact support then after I go over what I did before. Thanks for taking the time to test this out.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2012

To confirm Thomas' experience, I've been moving issues around all day today, and have a full history on all of them. Definitely one for support - one of the main reasons for using an issue tracker is that you know the history of the issue!

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2012

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I'll definitely log a support ticket as we are losing all history once an issue is moved to a project that has a different workflow. Thank you!

Suggest an answer