Why is a JIRA issue with an EMPTY fixversion retured in query results?

Rachel LeBlanc May 15, 2012

Using the following query:

project = Dexter and status = new and fixversion is not EMPTY

38 matching issues are found. 2 of the 38 return empty field results even though I wanted to see all issues that were new with a fixversion assigned. Why is this?

Once upon a time, the issues were assigned to a fixed version but have since been removed.

5 answers

0 votes
Andrei Navroschi July 5, 2016

More details can be found here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-45149

0 votes
Andrei Navroschi July 5, 2016

For more details, please find the workaround from here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-45149

0 votes
Kalen Brown November 18, 2015

Did you ever solve this? The more interesting JQL query is if {{fixVersion NOT in releasedVersions() AND fixVersion NOT in unreleasedVersions() and fixVersion is not EMPTY}} then where and what is it? It must think there is a fix version but I can't see what it is. This narrows the search down to ones that are having this issue. We found this problem because the Kahban board was filtering out issues that we thought should be showing up. The default subfilter is {{fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY}} and since JIRA thinks the fix version is not empty and since that fix version is not returned from the unreleasedVersion() list, then it drops it from the board. In checking the history of the issues, you can see that a fix version was added at one time, but currently it does not appear in the actual field and there was no log in the history of it being removed. I think, even though the log doesn't show this, that the issue was moved to another project using the move operation. And in this move, the affected and fix versions were stripped because the versions are specific to the project. Either the strip was done improperly by JIRA in the move operation, or there should have been a check to clear those field prior to the move. I have attempted the integrity check, reindex, filling in the field and then clearing it both with an individual and bulk operation, and I can't make it so that JIRA thinks the fix version field is cleared. If i fill in the fix version then sure it temporarily fixes the problem, but since the scenario of the issue was scheduled for a release but now no longer is applies to those issues, then I don't want to have something in the fix version field. I don't have access to SQL since I don't have direct access to the server, but I am a JIRA-administrator and have complete access to the JIRA application (server based commercial license Atlassian JIRA Project Management Software (v6.4.3#64018-sha1:4550402)) and we don't currently plan to migrate to 7 until our version is closer to a non supported state. So if there is a JQL query that I didn't try yet, or something I can do through the web access, then please let me know. One set of steps to reproduce (note that once the problem is produced, there is not a known way to undo it so preferably do not perform this on something you want to appear on a Kanban board otherwise append {{OR fixVersion NOT in releasedVersions()}} to the default subfilter): # Create a test issue or navigate to an existing issue # Fill in the fix Version/s field with an existing version (a new version created from field entry was not tested) # Navigate to the project management page and manage the versions # Choose to delete the version that you associated with the aforementioned issue, as shown in attachment [^JIRA delete version from JIRA project management version manager this results in a problem.PNG] # When prompted that "there are issues related to this version, specify what is to be done with them" select "remove version" (the other option of swap was not tested) # Run the following query with or without the ID for that issue and the issue will appear in the search results {{fixVersion NOT in releasedVersions() AND fixVersion NOT in unreleasedVersions() and fixVersion is not EMPTY AND ID = DMZ-48}} or {{fixVersion NOT in releasedVersions() AND fixVersion NOT in unreleasedVersions() and fixVersion is not EMPTY}} and also the issue will drop of a Kanban board if it was there before and the board uses the default sub filter. Proven proper way is to delete a version from the issues it is contained in BEFORE deleting it from the version manager: # Run the JQL query on the version you want to remove {{fixVersion = "Test 1"}} and may also need to be done for affected version. # Perform a bulk operation on all issues to "Change Fix Version/s" select field action "Find and remove these" and type in the version to delete. # JQL query on the issue ID itself {{fixVersion NOT in releasedVersions() AND fixVersion NOT in unreleasedVersions() and fixVersion is not EMPTY AND ID = DMZ-48}} or without the ID {{fixVersion NOT in releasedVersions() AND fixVersion NOT in unreleasedVersions() and fixVersion is not EMPTY}} should not return the issue that this operation was performed on and also the issue will stay on a Kanban board if it was there before and the board uses the default sub filter.

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2012
There is a db query to find all fixed versions for an issue at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA040/Example+SQL+queries+for+JIRA .

Could you try this for the two issues that return empty fix versions?

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2012
Please also run this statement, the above probably won't return anything. If this one returns something it means the projectversion is not there anymore but only the relation between issue and projectversion. In this case the nodeassociation could be deleted

select SINK_NODE_ID from nodeassociation where ASSOCIATION_TYPE='IssueFixVersion' and SOURCE_NODE_ID in ( select id from jiraissue where pkey in ('IMP-2340','IMP-2339') );

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2012

Can you do a reindexing and see if that fixes the issue?

Rachel LeBlanc May 15, 2012

Reindexed. The issue still persists.

Suggest an answer