Why is Summary at top left corner in LARGE BOLD FONT instead of the Name of the issue?

Reuben Mendoza December 18, 2020

Why isn't the Jira Issue Name the field in LARGE BOLD font at the top left of the issue screens instead of the Summary field??? You have also carried over this crazy practice to your new Advanced Roadmaps. WHY?

If your name is Bob you don't sign documents with a summary of yourself do you? If someone calls for you from across a room they don't shout out a summary of you do they? If you are looking for library book do you ask the librarian to find it with a summary? NO, of course not. That would be silly.

So please tell me how "Ensure your team and organization are ready to scale with 99.9% uptime SLAs, unlimited storage, 24x7 Premium Support, and more." aka Jira, decided to use Summary instead of a name or title?

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Hi Reuben, welcome,

Why would an issue have a name or a title?  They're supposed to represent "something that needs some attention", not a person or other animate object.  What name or title would you give to "I'm thirsty, can you fetch me a beer?"

A summary is a good word to describe "a short piece of text that briefly tells you what this is about"

If you look at an off-the-shelf Jira, you'll see that reflected - they don't have title or name by default.  Nothing wrong with adding a field for it if you want of course, but the summary is the main thing that summarises an issue, and hence the one that goes on the roadmaps.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

Hi Reuben, welcome to the Community. Note I'm just a user like yourself so can't really answer why names/fonts/placement might have been chosen as they were. With that said, i'm unclear what you are referring to exactly. Maybe a screenshot with arrows? Ultimately maybe this input would be best served delivering via the Feedback link w/in the app.

Suggest an answer