Why is Jira so slow?

Farid Kalirad October 13, 2012

Why is Jira so slow?

1 answer

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2012

Hi, how many users do you have? How many issues do you have in your system? What part of it is slow? Have you tried a re-index of JIRA?

We use the cloud-solution (on demand system). We have only 30 tickets. Every mouse-click takes 5-10 seconds to load the new site....

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2012

Where are you located? It could be latency.

this is our system:

I have a MAC :)

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2012
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2012

Hi, if latency is a problem (you can try to run tracert in Windows from the command prompt or traceroute in Linux to see the latency), it might be better for you to look a hosted JIRA solution from a 3rd party provider.

Atlassian hosts all their OnDemand platform from central US St. Louis.

We are sitting in Germany (Berlin)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2012

Definitely your network somewhere - one Jira I've access to is owned by a firm in Munich and they aren't seeing any slowness (and I'm in the UK and it's fine for me too).

Thaddeus Ryker June 22, 2015

He said his was cloud hosted, so access time to a private install is irrelevant.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2015

No-one mentioned a hosted version test (as you say, it's not important).

Ange PICARD January 24, 2019

The answer is pretty simple, the damn thing is heavy as hell. I have never seen such a tank aha.

I can feel the pain working on JIRA must be just by looking at those requests.

Jira.PNG

Like Hagbart Frandsen likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2019

That display shows you have a slow network, or possibly that you're running a poorly configured Jira and/or an underpowered server.

Ange PICARD January 24, 2019

That display shows the heaviest network payload for a web app I have never seen.

I don't know what kind of a technical debt this project has but come on, this is a 3D rendered game and it is lighter:

heracles.PNG

Like Hagbart Frandsen likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2019

Um, the payload is your data.

Ronald Lukassen March 21, 2019

I'm using Jira for years. It has always been slow, never -ever- seen a fast Jira, no matter what machine or internet connection.

Just loaded our company's dashboard:

Screenshot from 2019-03-21 21-47-04.png

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer