Why is JQL Auto-Complete not listing options for one Custom Field?

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2014

My JIRA v6.3.4 uses multiple custom fields of type checkboxes, all with search template "Multi Select Searcher".  For all but one of these fields, JQL Auto-Complete is working fine.  However, the most recently added field is not auto-completing.

Thus, I can perform a query based on "customfield1 AND customfield2", and as I type, I get auto-complete working great for customfield1....  and nothing whatsoever for the (new) customfield2.

I have checked and the answer is not in the KB article JQL Auto Complete is no longer working for individual users

Any thoughts?   It's quite important that Auto-Complete should work for this field or it becomes far less useful.

I am happy to work with the (MySQL) database if that would help me investigate the problem and solve it.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2014

Sigh...  I have fixed the problem.  Auto-Complete is now working well.

All I had to do was tweak the configuration of the custom field and change the applicable issue type from a sub-set of issue types to "All Issue Types".

I am delighted that all the options now list...  it makes such a huge difference to usability.  Still, it does seem to me that JIRA should not have behaved this way.

Rick Trudeau December 15, 2014

Hi Mark, You've run into the bug described at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-35126 Please go vote for it! I get hit by this bug all the time and it's beyond me why its considered Minor given that it completely breaks auto-complete.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2014

First thing to check is whether the field has a searcher associated with it or not. If it has one, then check if the field is available in the context of your search (for the project and issuetype selected).

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2014

Thanks for the speedy response, Jobin. Checking the customfield table, CUSTOMFIELDSEARCHERKEY = com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:multiselectsearcher This matches the config as seen in UI, and reported in original question. I did neglect to mention that JIRA has been re-indexed multiple times since the problem custom field was added. Both "Background re-index" and "Lock JIRA and rebuild index". The auto-complete never works. Either when typing a simple global query: "My Custom Field" = ...or a more specific: Project = "My Project" AND issuetype = Defect AND "My Custom Field" = The problem is only with Auto-Complete. If I specify the options (that are failing to display automatically) then the JQL search works just great. Examples: "My Custom Field" = option1 "My Custom Field" in (option2,option3)

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2014

Ah ok. Any error in the logs when you trying the auto complete?

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2014

There are no errors in the logs, examining acces log, plus atlassian-jira.log and catalina.out. I have just used Firebug plugin to examine what is being returned from the JIRA server. The response is HTTP 200, and the JSON content is: {"results":[]} By the way, I have not yet logged a Support Call with Atlassian... preferring to try here first.

Suggest an answer