Why is JIRA saying issues were created by wrong user?

Phillip Yero August 31, 2015

When I create issues and assign them to others, the notification email that JIRA sends out says that the assignee was the one who created the issue. For example, I create an issue and, while still in the issue creation screen, I assign the issue to Bob. The notification that JIRA sends to Bob and to me says that Bob created the issue.

I cannot figure out why this is happening.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2015

I do believe this is intended. If you change the reporter in the issue creation screen, this is the information that the notification will take into consideration when reporting the action.

Phillip Yero September 1, 2015

Yes I noticed that If I didn't change the Reporter in the issue creation screen then it would still say that I created the issue when it sent the notification email. Thanks

1 vote
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2015

I think i know why. Some email client cache emails with name. If you check the email header it will most likely say "Bob blablasson <jira@yourserver>" but your email client might forever remember Jira@yourserver associated with Bob since he was the first to have a notifications sent. Seen the same issue with iphone's native mail client, and have a lot of users complaining about it. I asked the same question as you but for some reason Atlassian deleted it. Google cache however still holds a copy:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tUmCWZoa8NgJ:https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/22648000/make-jiraconfluence-spoof-a-users-email-on-notifications+&cd=1&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl

Thanks Jonas. Were you able to find a solution?

0 votes
ServiceDesk June 14, 2018

I've just been through this and it turns out that I had accidentally set one of the team with the "Administrator" permission in groups and it looks like this prevents that user from being the sender in any email correspondence (it kept defaulting to my name because I was the project owner).  I deleted the Administrator group out of his profile and added him to Jira-administrators and hey presto it started working. 

0 votes

Here is a screenshot of a sample issue email. I had created the issue and set the assignee to Richard. However, the notification email states that Richard created the issue.jira.png

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2015

The email makes sense because the issue's reproter is Richard. Why is that?

That's just our process for this type of issue. I created it and then set Richard as the assignee and reporter. He will later assign the issue to someone else.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2015

Still, the email is correct. In the "create" screen, if you update the "Reporter" field, the email will use that information.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2015

Curious, can give you us the screenshot of a sample issue email?

see below

0 votes
Taha Khanzada
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2015

Hi Phillip,

Can you check Post function of your workflow for any condition set there ?

Taha

Yeah, I had checked that first, and there is nothing there that would cause this. Just these: -Creates the issue originally. -Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database. -Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners.

Suggest an answer