Why is JIRA saying issues were created by wrong user?

When I create issues and assign them to others, the notification email that JIRA sends out says that the assignee was the one who created the issue. For example, I create an issue and, while still in the issue creation screen, I assign the issue to Bob. The notification that JIRA sends to Bob and to me says that Bob created the issue.

I cannot figure out why this is happening.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

I do believe this is intended. If you change the reporter in the issue creation screen, this is the information that the notification will take into consideration when reporting the action.

Yes I noticed that If I didn't change the Reporter in the issue creation screen then it would still say that I created the issue when it sent the notification email. Thanks

I think i know why. Some email client cache emails with name. If you check the email header it will most likely say "Bob blablasson <jira@yourserver>" but your email client might forever remember Jira@yourserver associated with Bob since he was the first to have a notifications sent. Seen the same issue with iphone's native mail client, and have a lot of users complaining about it. I asked the same question as you but for some reason Atlassian deleted it. Google cache however still holds a copy:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tUmCWZoa8NgJ:https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/22648000/make-jiraconfluence-spoof-a-users-email-on-notifications+&cd=1&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl

Thanks Jonas. Were you able to find a solution?

Hi Phillip,

Can you check Post function of your workflow for any condition set there ?

Taha

Yeah, I had checked that first, and there is nothing there that would cause this. Just these: -Creates the issue originally. -Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database. -Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners.

Curious, can give you us the screenshot of a sample issue email?

Here is a screenshot of a sample issue email. I had created the issue and set the assignee to Richard. However, the notification email states that Richard created the issue.jira.png

The email makes sense because the issue's reproter is Richard. Why is that?

That's just our process for this type of issue. I created it and then set Richard as the assignee and reporter. He will later assign the issue to someone else.

Still, the email is correct. In the "create" screen, if you update the "Reporter" field, the email will use that information.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Amir Kazemi
Posted 3 hours ago in Jira

We want to know what Jira Service Desk apps you're using!

Hi Community! My name is Amir and I’m on the Jira Service Desk product marketing team at Atlassian. Our team would love to understand how you’re leveraging our ecosystem for Jira Service Desk. Wha...

16 views 0 4
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you