Why is JIRA forgetting my filter?

F Callen February 27, 2013

Hi!

Problem is as follows:

1) I have a load of tickets

2) I create a filter to see just some of them

3) When I go into one of the tickets, I see it's number in the filter search top right (e.g. 1 of 23)

4) Sometimes, I don't know when, when I click the down button to go to the next ticket in the search, or "Return to search results" JIRA "forgets" the filter and either takes me to the next issue in the whole database of issues, or takes me to the search window with the whole database of issues (50,000+ !!)

JIRA *used* to remember my filters but has just started going flaky.

What is happening?!!

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2013

This happens if a status (or another filter attribute) changed after executing your query. When you turn back to your search the next (changed) issue is no more in your query result. Try to reproduce this case in your jira environment.

F Callen March 4, 2013

Thanks for replying. I now know when the problem occurs.

Everything is fine when I run a filter and, on the same tab, click into one result and start navigating back and forth through the tickets.

However, if I right-click some results and open them as tabs, then go to one of those tabs and start navigating back and forth through the tickets, *then* JIRA forgets my search. I changed *nothing* in the search criteria.

The way I deal with it at the moment is that, every time I change the search filter, I have to save it as a favourite search. Then, when JIRA forgets, I can always go back and reapply the filter. Not ideal, obviously.

This is a new problem that I've noticed occurring over the past week or so. I've been using JIRA for about 8 months.

EDIT: Also, if I open an issue in a new tab, then go to that new tab and click "Return to search", the JIRA forgets the filter too.

Suggest an answer