Why is Fix/Version field missing on the bulk edit page?

Philip Culver December 12, 2017

I noticed that when you bulk edit items, if you have items from more than one JIRA project being edited - the Fix/ Version field does not display. I was wondering why that is? In this scenario, all the projects involved use the Fix/Version field. 

The field displays when I bulk edit items within the same project.

Thanks.

2 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

Versions are local to projects.  So you can't set versions cross-project.

Philip Culver December 13, 2017

Thanks for the response. Nic. I've used JIRA for 5 years and didn't know that... :/ 

I appreciate the info.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2017

It's the sort of quirk that makes sense, but you never think about it until you run into it!

Philip Culver December 13, 2017

Absolutely. I'm actually a little embarrassed I posted the question after seeing your response. :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2017

I wouldn't be - it took me until version 4 to notice it myself.  I started with version 2...

mattdawson1 February 11, 2019

Can confirm! Still the case in 2019. Ty for the tip!

0 votes
Deleted user February 19, 2018

This is not entirely true. I create cross-project releases which in turn creates a version in each project. Up until last week I was able to bulk change the Fix/Version across multiple projects. Looks recent that it was removed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 19, 2018

Jira doesn't have "cross project versions", so I'm curious as to what you think you were doing there.

Deleted user March 1, 2018

In our Portfolio Plan View (we're on the hosted plan) I can create cross-project releases which will automatically create a release for each project. I could previously take a mixture of issues within those projects and bulk update the Fix/Version. I had to release each one individually, but I could create them together. 

release.png

Like Kelson Sakzenian likes this
April May 7, 2019

Yeah, that's exactly what we did. Each version exists in all projects of category X (thanks ScriptRunner Version Listener!) and Portfolio has the cross-project version.

Yet, bulk edit is too stupid to allow setting either the local project's fix version or the Portfolio cross-project version. 

This seems like it would be a fairly common use case...

Kristen Maguire August 15, 2019

Yes, this is a fairly common use case. It is annoying that it is necessary to go to each project to do the bulk update. :-(

Suggest an answer