Why is ContainerManager Instance null ?

Harish Kayarohanam January 5, 2014

I started upgrading my JIRA plugin to JIRA v6.1.4 . so I found that import com.opensymphony.user.User; is no more there . so I thought of using crowd user . But I have to use stuff like

user.setFullName and user.setEmail but I found from https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/4.4.4/deprecated-list.htmlthat it is not possible . so I went by the suggestion there and looked into similar code https://github.com/esoeproject/esoeproject/pull/1/files.

Then I thought of doing something like that and came up with

CrowdService crowdService = getCrowdService();

User crowdUser = crowdService.getUser(user.getName());

ImmutableUser.Builder userBuilder = new ImmutableUser.Builder();

userBuilder.active(crowdUser.isActive());

userBuilder.directoryId(crowdUser.getDirectoryId());

userBuilder.name(crowdUser.getName());

userBuilder.displayName(fullName);

userBuilder.emailAddress(email);

try

{

crowdService.updateUser(userBuilder.toUser());

}

catch (Throwable t)

{

smLogger.error("Couldn't update user " + user.getName(), t);

}
          public CrowdService getCrowdService()

{

return (CrowdService)ContainerManager.getComponent("crowdService");

}

But It did not work and found while debugging that it threw NullPOinterException and when I started debugging it took me into ContainerManager.class and there they do

public static Object getComponent(String key) throws ComponentNotFoundException
    {
        return getInstance().getContainerContext().getComponent(key);
    }

but when debugging I went inside getInstance and found that the returned instance itself is null. so I hope that is the problem . so WHY IS CONTAINERMANAGER INSTANCE NULL ?

should I do something to get the instance ? Please help .

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014

Why not use com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor.getCrowdService() ?

0 votes
Harish Kayarohanam January 6, 2014

Thank you very much . I used com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor.getCrowdService() and it worked ...Thanks a lot ..

0 votes
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014

Never used the ContainerManager myself. As a rule of thumb, I usually start off with ComponentAccessor.get<Something>Manager. If that doesn't have it, look for it in ComponentManager.getInstance().get<Something>Manager(), but beware that ComponentManager is deprecated as of JIRA 6, AFAIK. If this fails, then ComponentAccessor.getComponentInstanceOf(Something.class) should do the trick.

HTH

Harish Kayarohanam January 6, 2014

Thanks . Ya I used ComponentAccessor and it started working

Suggest an answer