Why is CSV bulk import creating duplicates?

Dave Varon August 3, 2017

Hi, 

I have a csv file with 110 rows, columns are:

IssueType,Traceability,Epic Link,Summary,Description

I map everything in the wizard except IssueType as it's disabled. Epics exist already.  I just expect the issues to be created.

I validate the file in the wizard and only see errors for 10 blank rows, also expected.

Import then creates hundreds of issues, with many duplicate copies of each row.  I don't know how long it would continue, the first time it was >1000 issues. The second I managed to stop it at around 300.  Again there should be about 100 rows.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2017

I would try cleaning up the error and blank rows and see what happens. Also run your CSV file through some kind of validator to make sure you don't have an issue with quoting or seprators anywhere.

Dave Varon August 3, 2017

Thanks Boris!  

• removed the interstitial blank rows 
  • found and deleted a single quoted string
  • found and fixed a value that had broken into a second row
  • removed the IssueType column

Wizard behaved quite differently, and succeeded.

Thanks again,

Dave

Deleted user May 16, 2023

hi dave, why did you remove the IssueType column ?

0 votes
Rinalda Moodley October 24, 2018

Hi @Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority, I'm having the same issue. I use the JIRA validation option before uploading which doesn't pick up any issues with the file but I end up with 1000's of duplicates 

Deleted user May 16, 2023

hello, did you find a solution ?

Suggest an answer