Why has Atlassian deleted our crucial business data

Chris Sambrook September 5, 2016

Hello Atlassian,

We undertake work for several organisations and administrated all development, testing and versioning within Atlassian Cloud. The team have now found all of this data to be deleted and years of work has been wasted.

Our account expired recently without fair warning,we have been loyal customers who feel unfairly treated - our livelihoods depend on this data. This data is crucial and for real world projects that cannot be maintained without it.

We received one minor warning via email that this data will be deleted. No other warnings were issued in the lead up to the deletion and you have no right to delete such important data after such a short time frame.

You should not be deleting data without fair warning and I think that potential customers should be aware of this before using your services.

Please Atlassian we need you to help us and provide support to recover the data.

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2016

A few points

1. They have every right to delete it.  It's in the contract you agreed to.
  2. It's not Atlassian's fault if you didn't get the string of expiry and deletion notices because you haven't got the right people signed up as the owners, and/or incorrect or redundant email addresses.  I had five or six warnings before deletion of one of our client's dead sites, so I suspect you've got some missing contact details.
  3. I do think the expiry should be splattered across a dying installation - an automatic banner so that anyone logging in knows it's going to go away soon.  There was a request for this I saw a while ago, but I can't find it.  I'm hoping it's been done since the last time I was involved in a dying site.
  4. We're not support, we're end-users like yourselves.  You'll need to raise this with https://support.atlassian.com
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2016

I would really like to echo Nic's final point. Please contact Atlassian Support via support.atlassian.com as soon as possible. The sooner you contact us the more likely that your data can be recovered.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2016

ServiceRocket team all think that the idea in #3 is great

Suggest an answer