Why every time I create a new custom field it is automatically shown for all field configurations?

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2012

I do not understand why there is no option to choose which field configurations I want a newly created custom field to show for. Per default it will show for every field configuration. That means every time I create a field that should only be visible to certain field configurations, I have to through every single field configuration and hide it.

To my understanding the only other way of limiting the custom field to certain projects is to not use the global context but then I can only choose single projects and not a scheme which does not make sense.

I frequently run into the case where I have to create a new custom field that is only available to a certain subset of projects. Therefore these projects use a certain 'Field Configuration Scheme'. My problem is that after I added the custom field, it automatically shows for all field configuration schemes thus for all projects. I have to manually go into every single 'Field Configuration' and hide the field so it does not show up for other projects. We have this exact problem in several JIRA systems in our company and each of them uses 20+ field configurations. This wastes a lot of time and I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or JIRA?

2 answers

2 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2012

You're right, a custom field shows in all field configurations. It's like a view on all your fields + extra options so you can configure the fields according to your project specific needs.

To my understanding the only other way of limiting the custom field to certain projects is to not use the global context but then I can only choose single projects and not a scheme which does not make sense.

That's not quite true. If you create a custom field you can configure a context. Just hold xour Crtl-Key and you can select more than one project at a time. Therefore there is no need to hide the fileds. Just ignore them in your field configuration..

Cheer Christian

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2012

Thanks for the answer but it does not really solve my problem. We have hundreds of projects and manually choosing the projects a custom field applies to is not feasable especially because it is very error-prone (think about what happens when adding a new project).

At least I think I understand now what the real problem is: Missing custom field schemes

However, I would think that you should be able to solve this via the field configurations. All it would take is an additional page in the create a new custom field wizard that allows you to associate it with certain field configurations. Exactly the way it is done with screens already!

Does this make sense?!

Fabian Meier
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2012

I am talking 200+ custom fields here ;)

Originally I had filed this request as a support request with Atlassian (because I was not sure if it's just me or JIRA). They want to create an improvement request. Once that happened, I will post the link here.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2012

Would be nice, I totally agree with you. Maintaining field configurations is quite a task, especially when you're dealing with far more than 100 custom fields ;-)

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2012

Would be nice, I totally agree with you. Maintaining field configurations is quite a task, especially when you're dealing with far more than 100 custom fields ;-)

Suggest an answer