Why doesn't the description for my custom field get updated?

Brian Spence
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2013

I have edited / changed the description for several fields through the Administration functions, and the edited descriptions are showing up on that screen.

However, when I create a new issue or edit an existing issue, the old field label is still visible.

What has to be done for the changes to the field to be persisted?

6 answers

1 accepted

21 votes
Answer accepted
Brian Spence
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2013

After updating the description from the Custom Field screen, you must then go and make the same edit on the Field Configuration Screen.

While unclear why the same changes must be maintained separately, this does resolve the issue.

Miroslav Preradovic October 29, 2020

I have seen some dumb stuff in Jira, but this one is up there!

Like # people like this
Bruno Roveri March 11, 2021

Sorry but this is absurd - the custom field has his configuration in custom fields section.

It's confusing and not intuitive to change from the field configuration.

Thanks for the solution!

Like Jasmin Winger likes this
Carolyn Clark May 31, 2021

I ran into the same issue (so thanks very much for the resolution) but interestingly, found a use for it - if I want to add a description to the custom field in the background that tells me who, why and when it was created (this is useful as your Jira gets bigger and older and you move through different admins), I can keep that separate from what shows to the users. 

Maybe not a strong use case but might be helpful for someone else out there?

Like Sean M likes this
Sean M June 1, 2021

That is an interesting use case but I suspect it would be small consolation to the admin on that same big, old instance they inherited who has to adjust a dozen different field configurations to universally update a description.

I do like your use case, though. Might be good to have a 'batch operation' like thing. That way you can keep the 'administrative' description and easily adjust the user-facing descriptions.

4 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2013
2 votes
Brian Spence
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2013

OK, that works. I don't quite understand why I would have to update the description in multiple configurations when there is a master field configuration capability, but can run with it.

0 votes
Sean M April 20, 2021

I would say that this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen but hey, this is Jira. The user interface design philosophy seems to be 'death by 1000 papercuts.' Yeah, I can "run with this" along with the dozens of other Jira SNAFUs I have to run with. Maybe by the end of the day I won't have thrown my computer through the window.

I SO regret buying Jira...

0 votes
Sarthak Sharma August 13, 2020

Thanks .. That helped :)

0 votes
Daniel Brown November 19, 2015

Awesome thanks for the posts guys helped me a lot!

Suggest an answer