Why doesn't the Backlog show the Estimate of all sub tasks?

For my stories in the Backlog (per sprint) that have estimates only on the Sub-Tasks there is no roll-up occurring on the display.  

It is fine if I view the Story itself, then it shows the summation of each sub-tasks original estimate.

Why is it not showing up in the Sprint yellow bubble or in the grey bubble along the Story row in the Backlog view?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

JIRA doesn't expect you to estimate on sub-tasks.

It's a bit of a weakness, but the problem is that there's no consistent way to handle estimates on sub-tasks.  Do you roll it up to parents?  What if there's an estimate on the parent - add, remove or ignore?  How does it change the sprint if you're adding estimates to subtasks?  Atlassian have simply not dealt with it because there's too many ways you might try to do it, and no way to code for all of them.

Isn't this a similar situation to Story estimates being rolled into the Epic?  How is that handled?

No, because you don't estimate Epics either, so the rolling up is a simple case.

Estimates of sub tasks are rolling up in parent, if user open detail of parent. My Question is why its not appearing in backlog / scrum board.

I already said why it doesn't roll up.

The stuff you see on parent issues is rolling up estimates and worklogs for plain JIRA users, not Software.

Hello, it seems to me pretty simple solution.

I see two major scenario to use:

1. when you use subtask estimation:
    * if story doesn't have any subtask you can estimate story
    * when you create first subtask estimation of story (loged time, remaining time) transfer to subtask, and after that you cannot change story estimation because now it's calculated from subtasks
  2. when you don't use subtask estimation:
    * let it work like now

If on board we can confugure this kind of behaviour, it'll solve problem.
it's very strange if i can estimate subtasks, but can't use it to build burndown chart. When I split my story to subtask, i'm going to assign different assignee, they can estimate subtask and actualize remaings most precisely.

And it's very strange to me, that you can't see the problem and ain't going to solve it.

Maybe there's some plugin, that recalculate story estimation based on subtask every time, it can solve our problem

Well said, Alexandr! For a tool that is so supremely configurable, customizeable, and tweak-able down to the most obscure bits, it's extremely frustrating that simple ideas like yours - which I would think the vast majority of the user community agrees with - are dismissed out-of-hand.

There are so many examples where most of the community wants a simple, intuitive behavior, but because it doesn't jive with Atlassian's fragmented vision of how the tool should work, it's ignored. 

any answer to this?  I am facing the same problem

Gosh! Atlassian.

you can add up the subtask estimation to parent on view issue(Parent) screen but not to backlog estimation.

You have an option board to exclude sub-task but to to include. I am feeling dumb now to choose JIRA. Mind that i have a 2000 user license. and cribbing here on community.

Stupid me!

Mmm, it's the same answer as above - there's lots of schemes you might use, you don't want to annoy existing users by pulling their scheme out from under them, and you shouldn't estimate at sub-task level in scrum, as it's pointless.

Thank you ! I don't see a point discussing here, will try to negotiate my license renewal next time.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

565 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you