Why does selecting a Jira notification scheme requires global admin rights?

MichaelS November 16, 2012

From the documentation I have learned that selecting a notification scheme for a project requires global admin rights. I do not see the reason why this should be possible for the project administrator. If the Jira administrator has defined a set of notification schemes it should be problem if the project administrator chooses the apropriate scheme for his project.

Does someone kno the rational behind this, or this there even a way to change this behaviour?

Michael

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2012

Because it's possible to select notification schemes that are inappropriate. Some sites I've been to, it would work fine. At most, it's not - most project admins quite happily select schemes that they simply don't understand, and end up spamming all sorts of people (It's not just notification schemes, most schemes are too intricate to be trusted to project owners to select the right one, but notification schemes are definitely the ones that cause the most complaints from the users because of the spam an incorrect one can generate).

There's no way to change it without editing the code for project administration.

Suggest an answer