Why does releasing a version mark tickets as removed from sprint in the sprint/velocity reports?

Rochelle Pye December 2, 2020

Here's the scenario:

• A sprint (called Sprint 1) showed you had completed 50 story points - this is shown in the Sprint Report and Velocity Report
  • All tickets completed in that sprint are labelled with the same fix version of 1.1
  • In releases, you choose release on that fix version 1.1
  • Once released, you return to the Sprint or Velocity Report and suddenly it shows the there were 0 points completed that sprint.
  • All completed tickets now show in the Issues Removed from Sprint header.

Without this, when looking back at Sprints, it makes it hard (almost impossible) to track progress across sprints in regards to story points completed. 

Hoping someone can help!

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

Hello @Rochelle Pye 

Welcome to the community.

We do not see this behavior in our JIRA Cloud instance. Setting a Version to Released does not automatically change the Sprint field for the issues, and it is the Sprint field that dictates how an issue shows up in a Sprint Report and Velocity Chart. Do you have some custom automation set up that might be doing this 

Rochelle Pye December 2, 2020

I'm honestly not sure! I feel its the act of release moving the status from done/complete to closed that is causing the issue. Something to do with the Closed status that removed the sprint tag to none. It must be some customisation somewhere, just can't figure out what! I also don't have full access to all board settings so that might be why I cannot figure out where the error is occurring.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

Are you using a Classic project or a Next Gen project?

Suggest an answer