Why does "send email" work but notifications do not

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2017

I have a user who is unable to receive e-mails via project notification. I tested the system's ability to e-mail them with the "send email" function and they are able to receive it, but when they should receive a notification for a task update they do not. The log does not show any errors when the notification fails to send. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this?

2 answers

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2017

I trust you have checked the user's email settings in their profile?

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2017

I don't see anything that shows it's possible to disable all notifications, am I missing something?

email preferences.PNG

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2017

If the user is making the test changes himself and has notify on "My Changes" turned off that could cause the issue.

I found two similar support cases, in one case, there was an issue with the LDAP account of the user, in the other, the email address was incorrect in JIRA. (When you do the test email, you type in the address, if the address is incorrect in User Management the test would still work.)

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
May 5, 2017

I forgot to mention the Notification Helper tool: Administration>System>Notification Helper or <Base_URL>/secure/admin/NotificationHelperAdmin.jspa

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion. I made the change in the admin section and had it send an e-mail to the members of a group. The members of this group included 3 people. All 3 people receieved this e-mail. However, when I make comments on issues that the user is the reporter of, they do not receive e-mails. The notification helper tool you've mentioned has confirmed that they should receive e-mails.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2017

If it's gmail remember that you have to add in:spam to search in the spam "folder"

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2017

And the Logging page has a setting to increase the outgoing mail log verbosity

Suggest an answer