Why does `@` not work when i try to mention my team members in a comment?

Jeremy Brooks November 13, 2016

This is a weird one, all of my team are able to use the `@` symbol to mention others in any comments they make on JIRA issues. but when I try to do the same, it does not seem to find any one and it doesn't even look like its doing a search.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I have checked my user permissions and should be able to do this I am sure. Plus the most confusing thing is I'm an admin for JIRA and for the project, so that's doubly confusing.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2016

Admin rights give you admin rights, not "everything".

Check the global permissions.  Does your account match the rule for "browse users"?

Jeremy Brooks November 13, 2016

That was it, thank you, in my system we have the global permission "browse users" setup up for all "jira-developers" and I was not a member of that group. I'm still not clear why admin permissions doesn't inherit all permissions like many other systems. It would make life a bit simpler for JIRA admins and is more inline with normal practice in terms of user OS permissions etc.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2016

>I'm still not clear why admin permissions doesn't inherit all permissions like many other systems.

Because it's a terrible permissions model that makes your admins unable to "see the wood for the trees", and means it's easy for them to make mistakes or do things that are undesirable.

Suggest an answer