Why does my group not show in any dropdowns, especially Global Permissions screen?

Dharmesh Barot May 4, 2017

Hi!

I am trying to give access to an external client to a specific project. I created a group called "External Clients".

However, when I go to JIRA Administration > System > Security > Global Permissions, I cannot see my new role under the dropdown in "Add Permissions" section at the bottom.

I followed this video https://youtu.be/wvdVNpgG34M if that helps.

Why am I not seeing the new group?

3 answers

0 votes
Ryan Weise January 23, 2020

I had the same issue, where the group would not show up when I typed it.  Figured out that it was "Case Sensitive" when typing the group name.

0 votes
PP November 30, 2017

I think I have the same problem (on JIRA Cloud).

I am logged in as the global/site administrator and I'm trying to add a group to "Browse Users" global permission (but does not matter which permission I choose) - it does not show in the group on the list and does not autocomplete the name of the group.

At 2:44 in the video, when the user clicks on the "Anyone" field - that's where my problem lies at - the group I want to add to the permission does not show up!

I have found a workaround (for Cloud at least), though and hopefully it will work for you as well - when I actually click on the drop-down arrow instead of trying to type in the field, every group in my Jira is listed and I am able to choose it and press the "Add" button to confirm.

PS. Roles and groups are different things in JIRA, I think you meant "Group" when you mentioned "role" in your post.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2017

Where are you trying to add this group in the global permissions?

Dharmesh Barot May 8, 2017

Hi Nic!

Thanks for replying. This section is under

• User Management > System tab
  • In the left panel, go to SECURITY > Global Permissions

All the way to the bottom you will see these fields.

JIRA-AddPermissionStep.jpg

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer