Why does current total estimate adjust in time tracking report?

Allison Usavage January 5, 2014

When I view the progress visualization in the time tracking report, I expect to see the total hours worked vs the total original estimate. Instead, it adjusts for issues that work had been logged over the estimate. For example, the total original estimate for my project was 1w 3d 6h 30m. Because of some closed issues and overages, my accuracy is at +2h 30m. The current total estimate in my progress bar now states 1w 3d 4h, exactly 2h 30m under my original estimate. Does anyone have insight into why this would behave this way? I would expect that a comparison to the original estimate would be much more valuable.

1 answer

0 votes
mwarton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2014

Hi Allison,

I have spent some time looking into the standard JIRA reports, and it is certainly not obvious as to what they do.

I have created sample reports for Intelligent Reports that follow the User and Version workload reports as closely as possible, but have not looked at the time tracking report.

Generally they seem to follow JQL queries along the lines of:

assignee={User} and resolved is EMPTY and (timespent > 0 or originalEstimate > 0)

and use timeSpent + remainingEstimate instead of originalEstimate.

If you need better control over exactly what gets reported, give Intelligen Reports a try. It lets you design the report in Microsoft Word, and fill in the data using simple point and click rules, no scripting or API to learn.

Cheers,

Suggest an answer