Why does creation of subtasks in automated transition takes ages

Björn Gullander August 26, 2015

I have an automation rule that transitions an issue when all linked issues are resolved. In the transition of the parent issue, I create a couple of subtasks as well as a couple of cloned-and-linked issues in other projects. 

If I perform the transition manually it takes like 50 seconds which feels OK for me. However when the automation rule performs the transition the operation can take about 5-10 minutes. And during that period it seems like all issue views and boards that show the issue cannot be loaded. 

Can anyone answer why there is such a performance issue when doing the same operation using automation? And if there is anything I can do about it?

2 answers

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2015

You may be impacted by a critical JIRA issue that impacts automation like this: JRA-40942.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2015

It sounds like your code is doing a vast amount of work or your server is vastly underpowered - 50 seconds is a ridiculous amount of time for a transition.  Could you explain what you have set up in more detail?

Björn Gullander August 27, 2015

I suppose the reason for taking so much time as 50 seconds is that I create 5 sub-tasks and 3 clone-and-links. This is however not my main problem. 

However I see now it seems like the automated transition has created sort of "ghost" issues. Issues that should have been a sub-task to the parent issue is instead a normal issue. I can see them in the Agile board, but it is not possible to click on them since JIRA tells med they don't exist. In some way they are both created and not created. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2015

Your code is very very broken if it's doing this sort of thing. You should really remove it, move it to a test system and fix it.

Suggest an answer