• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Why does a JQL statement like (component not in ("MoD Migration", "MoD Migration - CQ") not pick up empty components. I have to add "or component is Empty" to pick up empty components.

Why does a JQL statement like (component not in ("MoD Migration", "MoD Migration - CQ") not pick up empty components. I have to add "or component is Empty" to pick up empty components.

John Love March 11, 2014

Attempting to find all issues I a particular project where the Component is not one of 2 particular values. Unfortunately, this does not return any issue with and Empty value. I have tested this in our production instance (5.2) and our dev instance (6.2). The results are the same.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2014

component not in ("a",b") and component is empty and project = "xyz"

because "not in" is not the same as "is empty" thats how it's designed

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2014
Yup. Is empty means look for no value. Is not x means look for all items where a value is set and it is not x

Suggest an answer