Why does P4J seem to disregard rank order when scheduling?

Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2016

Using Live Plans, I have a simple, high level roadmap type plan using only initiatives. I have the initiatives ranked top to bottom on the scope screen in their order of priority, but when I look at the calculated plan, paying attention to two of the initiatives, I see that the one ranked lower is actually being scheduled earlier. This is in spite of the fact that the team members are the same and the estimate for both initiatives are the same. There is also no dependency relationship that might be impacting the scheduling.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2016

@Martin Suntinger, I believe this is resolved. If I remember correctly, the two initiatives were assigned to two different releases. One, simply '2016' with appropriate, fixed start and end dates, the other '2017', also with appropriate, fixed start and end dates. What I discovered was the horizontal order of the releases in the Releases screen is at play with event ranking ... and, while the dates of my 2016 and 2017 releases were correct, the releases themselves were ranked 'backwards'. I.e., 2017 was to the left of 2016.

0 votes
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2016

Hey @Rick Crow, is problem still open or has this already been resolved on another channel? This sounds very odd, could you try to re-index and re-balance The rank? (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/LexoRank+Management) maybe something got out of order there, otherwise we'll have to investigate this with a support case. Thanks! 

0 votes
Rick Crow
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2016

@Martin Suntinger: This is one of the behaviors that continues to cause me to hesitate pushing for broader adoption in our organization. I encountered this behavior in the earlier, non-live-plan version as well, so I don't believe this is specific to live plans. Thoughts?

Suggest an answer