Why does Jira keep crashing in Chrome on Linux?

Joseph Martinsen October 27, 2017

Browser: Google Chrome Version 62.0.3202.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Issue: Every 3ish minutes, my Jira board will crash. Crashing meaning that I get Chrome's "Aww Snap, something went wrong". This issue is related to Chrome experiencing an issue loading the browser. I have not experienced this issue with other sites. 

Thanks

Edit: Here is the link to the Jira Bug per@Martin Vargahttps://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67781

16 answers

6 votes
Matt Kernes November 6, 2017

The vast majority of developers use Unix/Linux based systems. How can you not test Linux? At least 21% of devs use Linux. This is a paid product. And it's not exactly cheap.

"Right now, for Linux, the only supported browser is Firefox, so to avoid this bug, you will need to switch to a supported browser or platform, and in case this issue persists, we can raise a bug with our developer team."

Asking devs to switch platform is ludicrous. This is pretty unacceptable. According to this issue thread, this problem persists and also happens on FireFox:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67781

I'm hopeful now that it has a high priority, but it has yet to have someone assigned to fix it (at the time of this post).

2 votes
Martin Varga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2017

Here's a link to the Jira bug you are experiencing: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67781

Please watch the issue if you want to get updated on its progress.

0 votes
Durand Miller January 29, 2018

Chrome: Version 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on Ubuntu 16.04 (64-bit)

I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said every third or fourth page is crashing Chrome and giving me an "Aw, Snap!"

0 votes
Luke Skibinski January 25, 2018

experiencing this as well, Vivaldi + Arch:

Vivaldi1.13.1008.44 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
Revision0d3066937cd97722793fe96010ca2cf259bff114-refs/heads/master@{#527460}
OSLinux
JavaScriptV8 6.2.414.43
Flash(Disabled)
User AgentMozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.97 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.94.1008.44

it's been happening for months now but happened to me twice in 15mins.

0 votes
Caleb Rogers November 14, 2017

Experiencing this as well, chromium and debian. 

Vladislav Rastrusny January 26, 2018

This is fixed in JIRA Cloud. If you are using hosted version, you need to update it.

Trevor Bradley January 26, 2018

Brand new JIRA user, just experienced this today in JIRA Cloud (Approximately every 60-120 seconds), even after the upgrade to Chrome 64.0.3282.119.

I can't reproduce in Firefox - looks Chrome specific.

Trevor Bradley January 26, 2018

It does appear to especially happen while editing tasks....

And just this instant, I can't reproduce it, whereas it was happening all the time not 10 minutes ago.  No wonder it's so hard to fix!

I'll keep my eye on it, see if it comes back.

0 votes
Nick Maludy November 13, 2017

Atlassian has an issue opened here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67781

Also there is a Chromium issue here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=782982

0 votes
Henrik Pedersen November 13, 2017

We should probably raise this as an Chrome issue... Atlassian doesn't care, but the chrome team will definitely care that a site can consistently crash their browser.

Matt Kernes November 13, 2017

I think they care since they have the issue open.

But if they can't (or won't) solve the issue, I'll move my entire team to another solution. Nearly all of us run Linux and Chrome.

Martin Varga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2017

The issue is now in soaking phase. Changes have been made and are being tested now. 

Matt Kernes November 13, 2017

This is great news. Thanks, Martin!

Vladislav Rastrusny November 13, 2017

Looks like it's fixed for my JIRA Cloud already.

0 votes
Paweł Zadrożny November 8, 2017

I have the same issue

Version 62.0.3202.75 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on Ubuntu 17.10 (64-bit)

Please make it fix.

0 votes
Nick Maludy November 6, 2017

I heard back from Atlassian support, here's what they wrote, sounds like they aren't going to fix this:

Hi Nick,

How are you today?

Unfortunetely, according to our Supported browsers page, Google Chrome is only supported for Mac and Windows, we cannot guarantee that it will work on Linux, it is not tested/developed to work for Google Chrome in Linux.

Right now, for Linux, the only supported browser is Firefox, so to avoid this bug, you will need to switch to a supported browser or platform, and in case this issue persists, we can raise a bug with our developer team.

Could you please try to use JIRA for one day on Firefox and let us know if the issue persist?

Best regards,
Adalberto Schneider
Atlassian Cloud Support

Vladislav Rastrusny November 7, 2017

This is ridiculous to force us to switch to Firefox.

0 votes
Mike Lewis November 4, 2017

Also happening for me on Ubuntu 16.04.

Version 62.0.3202.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Crashes when navigating in the backlog or kanban board.

3GB out of 16GB in use so no memory issues at the system level.

0 votes
Matt Kernes November 3, 2017

Happening for me on Ubuntu 16.04. 

Chrome Version 62.0.3202.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This mostly happens when I'm in the agile board or in the backlog putting together a sprint.

I can reproduce it 100%. Easiest way is to go the backlog, and [ J ]/[ K ] through the list and it will definitely happen. 

It will also do it as I do the same on issues in the agile board.

I've also had it happen pretty randomly while attempting to create new issues. I've submitted a few "feedback" messages. (Don't know if those just float off in the ether, or what.)

Pretty annoying, especially considering how much we're paying for JIRA and Confluence.

My rig is a i7-7700HQ, 16GB with less than half the memory in use. So I'm 99% sure I'm not running out of memory. 

0 votes
michelts November 3, 2017

Same for Ubuntu 17.04 and chrome 62.0.3202.62.

0 votes
Pascal BRIET November 3, 2017

Same here :

- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

- Chrome 62.0.3202.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)  (crashes occur with the ~2 previous versions)

My colleague also has the issue with Chromium + Debian

0 votes
Nick Maludy November 2, 2017

Happening to me as well.

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core)

0 votes
Joseph Martinsen November 1, 2017

Does the problem only occur with Chrome or any other browser as well? 

No I have not experience this problem with other browsers as of yet

Is the problem confined to just one user or does it happen with everyone? 

As far as I know, I am the only that has experience the issue but I am also the only one on Ubuntu 17.04

What's the memory/RAM situation in the Task Manger when the crash occurs. Are the chrome tabs taking too many space? 
Are any other pages being "Aww Snap-ed"? 

The memory/RAM does not appear to be much different than normal. The issue has occured when my JIra task board was the only tab. The task board tab is the only that "Snaps out", even when I have other Jira related tabs open.

I will launch chrome from terminal with logging and see if any issues are logged to the terminal. 

0 votes
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2017

Browser seems updated to the latest version, so it's all covered from that angle. 

Does the problem only occur with Chrome or any other browser as well? 
Is the problem confined to just one user or does it happen with everyone? 

What's the memory/RAM situation in the Task Manger when the crash occurs. Are the chrome tabs taking too many space? 
Are any other pages being "Aww Snap-ed"? 

Enable Logging in Chrome to see if there are any errors related to the crash.
See how to add command line flags for the enabling of logging.

Dominic Valentyne November 1, 2017

I'm also getting this problem, looks like the same software versions:

Ubuntu 17.04

Log output from Chrome when it crashes is only:

#
# Fatal process OOM in heap setup
#

Suggest an answer